Tuesday, September 14, 2010
Sondra Bianca performs Mozart
By numerous requests, I have remastered the MGM white jacket lp I have of Sondra Bianca performing Mozart's Piano Concertos Nos. 11 and 20 with Hans Jurgen Walther leading the Pro Musica Orchestra of Hamburg. The picture above shows Bianca with her back to the camera and on the podium is the VERY young wunderkind, Lorin Maazel. By the looks of it, Bianca is quite young too. Probably mid 1940's?
These are really very fine performances of Mozart by the rather elusive Bianca. Not much is written about her since she pretty much retreated from the concert hall and recording studio at a relatively early age. It seems that she turned to teaching however, I can find no reference to any students of hers. I've heard her in Mozart and Liszt and what I can say is that she had exemplary technique and a command of her repertoire. Why Ms Bianca retreated from a prestigious career is anyone's guess. But, what we have here is wonderful Mozart played with mature insight and sensitivity. I guess that about sums it up.
DOWNLOAD
