Tuesday, November 16, 2010
Walter Hendl conducts Sessions, Harris and Schuman on ARS
How happy I was to find this lp, again, last week. I've owned a copy for years but it proved to be in a very poor shape and though I tried to transfer it, the odds were against that enterprise. So, when I came across this in a second hand shop, I rejoiced. Great condition and eminently transferable...here it is.
We have here Sessions' The Black Maskers, Schuman's American Festival Overture and Harris' monumental Symphony No 3. Everything is led by the underrated American conductor Walter Hendl with the American Recording Society Orchestra, whomever they be.
These are strongly shaped and idiomatic performances. No excuses need to be made for committed music making even if the orchestra is less then first rate. Hendl understands, and loves, this music well and the results bear witness to that. Listen to the "dirge" from Black Maskers and you'll get the picture. Great mid 20th century fare, no doubt about that.
I'd like to hear more from Hendl. Hopefully some other bloggers will take notice; I'll be on the lookout for his other recordings.
DOWNLOAD
