Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chamber Music by Brahms and Telemann


Couple early Westminster issues today.

First up is Brahms' posthumous Trio in A Major performed by the "Huebner"Trio. I admit to not knowing this piece but found it a rather pleasant discovery. From what I have read, there is some disagreement about authorship however, it is Brahmsian in structure and sound, at least to my ears! An interesting work though it strangely does not stay with me like the "opused" three trios.

I have included music from Telemann's Tafelmusik as a fill since it features the fine flute playing of Milton Wittgenstein with Sylvia Marlowe on harpsichord, Marcel Hubert - cello, and Engelbert Brenner - oboe.  I do not believe the Telemann to be an odd discmate for the Brahms since the latter would have known Telemann's music and drawn a level of inspiration from it. Of all his contemporaries, Brahms looked to the past quite often for knowledge and ideas.

These are early 50's recordings and soundwise not too bad.

 


Followers