Saturday, November 6, 2010

Munch and the BSO perform Haydn and Beethoven.


Here's one one that I have had "in the can" for a few weeks. Charles Munch and the "aristocrat of orchestras" in Beethoven's Symphony No. 1 and Haydn's "Drumroll" Symphony. I was lucky enough to obtain a fairly clean copy of LM 1200 and here it is for your listening pleasure.

Munch is too often pigeon holed as a "French" specialist and this is not at all a fair assessment of his abilities and talents. People tend to overlook the fact that he was, for the most part, German trained and, while a violinist with the Gewandhaus, he had the opportunity to play the German-Austrian masters under the likes of Furtwangler, Klemperer, Walter, to name but a  few. In short, his background and training provided him the authority to present credible renditions of works by these composers. Munch himself,
did not appreciate the "French" tag in much the same way as Paray and Monteux bristled at it.



There is good Beethoven and Haydn here, played with spirit, panache and, a sense of earthiness. I suspect the Beethoven suffered in sales since it was released near about the same time as Toscanini's early 50's traversal of the complete set for RCA. In regards to Haydn, probably the shadow of Beecham in this music was tough to overcome? Be that as it may, no excuses need be made for vital music making by a conductor who had the ability to electrify and an orchestra that was as refined and beautiful instrument. as any out there.

There are a couple of slight skips in the Drumroll that I believe are the result of the pressing and not human damage. I don't think these are enough to deter you from a pleasant listen. As I have said before, transferring from shellac or vinyl is not an exact science.

DOWNLOAD

Followers