Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Stig Westerberg conducts Sibelius



Here's the Westminster issue, XWN18529, of an original Swedish Discofil recording. Stig Westerberg leads the Swedish Radio Orchestra in works by Jean Sibelius namely, incidental music from The Tempest and the King Christian II suite. I think these recordings date from the early 60's and that Westerberg might have recorded the pieces again. I'm sure someone will be able to provide some further information.

Always interesting to hear the side of Sibelius not focused on dramatic and sometimes bleak symphonic masterpieces. An interesting listen though I would not consider this music memorable in a way like the second symphony or violin concerto. Those compositions are masterpieces and firmly, and rightly, established in the repertoire of the major soloists and orchestras of the world.


Stig Westerberg had a nearly 50 year career as a major, and highly regarded, conductor in Sweden and northern Europe. Nice record.

DOWNLOAD

Followers