Here's an early Westminster LP (c 1950) of the music of Vivaldi performed by Andre Jouve and the New Chamber Orchestra of Paris. Although I was not expecting much, I can honestly says that the spirited performances and attempt to shed the romantic veil over the music, more then compensate for any inadequacies in technique or style.
Andre Jouvre is a name not at all well known to me but I did previously make his acquaintance on a transfer of Prokofiev done on The Music Parlour . He's one of those conductors that pretty much spent his career within his homeland and made contributions that are more national than international in scope.
When this record was made, Vivaldi was still rather a curiosity and performances were not at all common as they are today. Jouve is quite credible and acquits himself well with his French musicians. It's interesting to observe how far our understanding of Vivaldi has come since this record was cut sixty plus years ago.
DOWNLOAD

