Monday, December 26, 2011

Music of Ravel conducted by Pedro de Freitas Branco


Today, the 1954 Westminster issue of the album above and then some. Awarded a Grand Prix du Disque, this is a terrific hour spent in Ravel's sound world. The Champs Elysees Theatre Orchestra is conducted by the fine Portuguese conductor, and father of Portuguese orchestral conducting, Pedro de Freitas Branco.

This lp piqued my interest when I picked it up a couple weeks ago. I had heard of the conductor's brother Luis, the composer, but the former was a mystery to me. Catching my eye was the seal on the lp cover signifying a Grand Prix du Disque so I thought it would be a a worthwhile purchase for a couple bucks. Am I glad I bought this one!

The interpretations are highly individual and stunning. Obvious to me is the great care that Freitas Branco has given to each composition. He makes the most out of Ravel's brilliant orchestrations and brings out details that are often glossed over. The dynamic range of each piece alone is hugely impressive! In addition, the Champs Elysees orchestra, though a second tier ensemble at best, provides the conductor with highly idiomatic and focused playing. This theatre orchestra is giving it their all and they are entralled by the presence of a a very fine conductor whom they hold in high respect. Munch, Paray and Martinon of course bring a special authority to Ravel but Freitas Branco makes you sit up and take notice in these gripping readings. No wonder this lp was awarded the coveted Grand Prix du Disque!

What a pleasant discovery! I'll have more "colorful" French music shortly with Menachem Pressler in Debussy.

DOWNLOAD

Followers