Saturday, April 16, 2011

Dorati, Minneapolis and Beethoven


Gosh! I don't  know how many copies of these recordings that I have!? (Well I do!) From this issue, the Wing in artificial stereo, to the European Pergola, they have all been beat to all hell. I mean, it is IMPOSSIBLE to find these recordings in a good shape!.....until now.

And with good reason. When Gunther Schuller remarked that Antal Dorati was one of the best conductors of Beethoven, he wasn't exaggerating. And, when my late photographer friend Bill, when seeing Dorati's face on the cover of the Beethoven 7 with the RPO, remarked that "this is a face of great intelligence and strength," he knew right away that here was a man of  impressive insights and capabilities. This Beethoven 5th, for me, is about as good as it gets. Inspired playing, strong attention to the letter of the score, and an ability to really get inside of the music drives this legendary recording. All of those scratched and nearly destroyed copies that I have (5, count em 5!) are the result of being played out and played with. This is a Beethoven performance to die for, one, where any weaknesses in the structure are tightened by an orchestra playing their hearts out for a conductor who is determined to present a performance that is individual but all Beethoven. Listen to the phrasing and attention to dynamic markings and you'll understand what I mean. These folks are inspired because they are LEARNING this music for the first time and NEED to be fully alert!

Antal Dorati 1906-1988
The overtures too, are very well done. Egmont is driven and highly dramatic (though Scherchen rmains my favorite here) Coriolan is heroic and strong while Lenore 3 becomes almost a tone poem of sorts, encapsulating the opera "Fidelio" into less than 15 minutes. The Minneapolis orchestra offers a kind of commitment not usually heard on studio recordings and this more then compensates up for admittedly less then top drawer playing.

Overall, I am happy enough with the transfer though there were a couple spots in Coriolan that were less then ideal. Again, I cannot stress the sense of urgancy here, and I believe that this Beethoven 5 beats out the remakes that Dorati made with the LSO and the RPO. A true sense of occasion!

DOWNLOAD

Followers