Friday, August 13, 2010

Hermann Scherchen conducts Beethoven overtures



Here's a little more Scherchen for you Scherchen lovers. A bunch of Beethoven overtures from Vienna circa 1952 or so. European Archive had this available but it was a mess so I obtained a copy of the record and transferred it myself.

Scherchen includes a couple of less often played overtures, namely Consecration of the House and Namensfeier along with the usual suspects, Coriolan, Creatures of Prometheus etc. All works are whipped up into a proper frenzy though one gets the impression at times that the maestro is pushing the envelope with these Viennese musicians. Oh bother, Scherchen is just a wonderful advocate for Beethoven...nuff said!

You know, I often wonder what Scherchen would have done if he had had access to truly world class orchestras, like the BSO, Cleveland Orchestra, Concertgebouw. The man had such an incredibly huge and varied repertoire and his creative mind was second to none. Was it is socialist politics that closed some doors? Was it his acceptance of often slipshod orchestral execution? Again, I am left wondering, what if and why?

Mono recordings in FLAC files for your listening...


Followers