Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sir Adrian Boult conducts Mendelssohn's Italian and Scottish symphonies


Here's two of my very favorite works by Mendelssohn in sparkling performances under Sir Adrian Boult. These are Nixa/Westminster recordings from around the mid 50's which feature the Philharmonic Promenade Orchestra (of course, the London Philharmonic in contractual disguise).

What strikes me most regarding these performances is the briskness of tempo and the need to move the music along. These are unsentimental renderings with absolutely no sign of "heart on the sleeve." What we have here is almost businesslike, well prepared, and devoid of any "19th century" excesses. In short, as I listened, I heard a definite connection between Boult and period performance, in particular Roger Norrington's Mendelssohn recordings. The Scottish, especially, held my attention quite firmly; I'm spellbound by this performance as it would appear to be 25-30 years ahead of its time. Fascinating...really. Definitely a much different rendering of the Scottish then Maag's roughly contemporary lp with the LSO.

One last observance about Boult:  every performance of his that I encounter is so well prepared, and thought out, that though spontaneity may be lacking, craftsmanship, taste and diligence are always there. With Boult, you get your money's worth.

Followers