Tuesday, June 15, 2010
More from the Sinequan Collector's Series: Dvorak, Brahms and Strauss
A while back, I posted one of these Sinequan Collector's series which featured two of Brahms' trios played by BSO principals. Here's another in this distinguished series which features Brahms' Clarinet Trio and Dvorak's Wind Serenade. I've also included, from another lp in the series, the Strauss wind serenade op. 7 for good measure.
The clarinet trio features Gino Cioffi on clarinet, Samuel Mayes playing cello, and Ralph Berkowitz performing the keyboard duties. Cioffi was longtime principal clarinet of the BSO (prior to the great Harold Wright) and I think, a most consumate ensemble player. Samuel Mayes, we know as one of the great orchestral cellists of the 20th century, and Ralph Berkowitz's fame came as a favorite accompanist to Gregor Piatigorsky and assistant to Serge Koussevitzky. What strikes me about this performance is that the artists blend so well, a sure sign that they are listening to one another!
The Boston Woodwind Ensemble is featured in the Dvorak and Strauss works. The playing is extremely assured but I must confess that I know nothing about Eric Simon, the director. I believe that he might be a clarinetist, composer and teacher. Simon does get some terrific virtuoso playing from this group though I'm not sure if they BSO members or, if the ensemble is assembled from Boston's rich freelance community. Needless to say, I especially love the Dvorak, another bit of proof of that composer's great understanding of various instruments and ensembles. Strauss' serenade is a neat little "fluff" piece, sort of Beecham lollipop!
There will be more of the Sinequan Collector's Series coming up in the weeks ahead: Brahms' Piano Quartet op 25, Thuille's Sextet, a Samuel Mayes solo disc and Mozart's Horn Concertos played by James Stagliano, to name a few of the titles. I am so glad that I discovered this small treasure trove of forgotten records!
DOWNLOAD
